Babies love breastfeeding. There's no doubt about it. What happens when your breastfeeding loving baby doesn't want anything but the breast? Here are few tips to try.
Offer the bottle:
- in a typical side lying position as if you were going to breastfeed
- in a dark room
- when your baby is not fully awake
- while your baby is snuggled against you in a front carrier
- for the older baby try offering it in a playful manner, teasing and playing a game with her
- use a nipple shield a couple of times to get your baby use to the idea of a silicone nipple
If none of the above work:
- feed your frozen breastmilk like ice cream
- spoon feed your breastmilk
- cup feed your breastmilk
Sometimes nothing works to get your breastfeeding baby to take a bottle of breastmilk or formula while you are away. Sometimes a baby will fast while mom is away and make up for it while she is with mom. This works out great for some, but can cause loss of sleep for some mothers. I have found the nipple shield trick to work everytime.
Feel free to call us if you are still having problems.