A resounding YES!
Here are a few things to think about:
- The average cost of formula in the powdered form is now more than $1200 dollars a year. Concentrated or ready-made formulas, which are essential for babies under a month in age, as well as special hypoallergenic formulas required by some babies, are even more expensive.
- Research and statistics show that formula-fed babies are much more likely to become ill and require medical care.
- Mothers who formula feed tend to miss work more often due to ill children which results in lost pay and less employer satisfaction.
- Most breastfeeding challenges can be resolved with two to four visits with a lactation consultant.
- Even with 4 visits, you are saving a lot of money. Compare this to the cost of formula for a year, the potentially higher medical costs and possible lost days at work, and the lost benefits of breastfeeding for both you and your baby that no dollar amount can be placed upon!
- Most moms say that the simple peace of mind and self-confidence that a lactation consultant provides makes the consults well worth the money!
If the cost of hiring a lactation consultant concerns you, consider asking for a lactation consultation as a shower gift, or use the money from all those duplicate baby gifts you have to return and put it toward a visit with a lactation consultant.
One Pediatrician was quoted as saying to her patients, "I would much rather see you hire a lactation consultant and succeed with breastfeeding, than to have the perfectly appointed nursery. The benefits of breastmilk far outweigh the benefits of a beautifu crib and bumpers."