How to interview a lactation consultant
Here are a list of good, thought provoking questions to ask:
- How many mothers and babies have you worked with outside of a hospital setting?
- How many hours do you spend with a new mother in a consultation?
- Do you regularly recommend three to four consultations (6-8 hours) to ensure breastfeeding is going well?
- Do you call the mother frequently until she feels breastfeeding is going well?
- Do you resist using formula, even drops, during the first three days?
- Do you accept a painful latch as normal?
- Do you validate someone's pain and not just say, "but the latch looks fine"?
- Do you refer for other services if the latch continues to be painful after working on latch and positioning?